Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Roman Holiday - Day Two



Damn, I was sitting in a cafe in Greve yesterday, just about to hit the Publish button, when the power went out. So several posts today to catch up...


So Monday I went to the Vatican. Didn't see the Pope, but saw enough gorgeous art to leave me a little mind-boggled. No crazy New Zealand tour guide either. Instead, a really nice Ph.D. theolody student named Jill from North Carolina. She really knew her stuff. All of the guides carry around some sort of flag or scarf or something so their groups can find them. She had a Duke basketball pom-pom, so we could be the only group walking through the biggest Christian church in the world and cheering for the devils!

On the way back, I managed a quick trip to the Bocca della Verita - the mouth of truth. It was at the entrance to a pretty medival church, but on a really busy street and not very picturesque at all. So much for my Audrey Hepburn fantasies. Where is Gregory Peck when you need him?

I'm heading out of Rome in the morning. It's an amazing city, just because there is so much history here, but it's not a place I'd ever want to live. It's got kind of snooty vibe going on, kind of an LA-attitude, as in.. 'we are all beautiful people and so much cooler than you, so just admire us.' Some cities I've been to and felt immedately at home at. This wasn't one of them.

No comments: