Monday, June 2, 2008

Sunday – Strikes and Hikes.





Today was my day to explore the Cinque Terre. That literally means “five lands” – the five towns that are connected by an 11-km hiking trail and preserved as a national park and a UNESCO world heritage site.

There are several ways to get around the towns. There is a small train that runs between each one, buses, a ferry boat, and on foot. But it turns out that the trains were on strike for the day (evidently a frequent occurrence), and that for some reason, this meant that there were no buses either. I’m not sure about the logic on that one, unless it was some sort of sympathy vote.
So I got my boat pass and took the ferry to the southernmost town, Riomaggiore, to start my day. The town was cute, and I wandered around for a bit, then started on the first pathway. This one is called the “via dell’amore” (lover’s walk), and it was paved and relatively flat. I got into Manarola (also cute) and thought, hey, no problem! But I had a decision to make. Corniglia, the third town, was farther away and more of a climb, although it seemed easily doable. But, that is the only town without a port, so the boat didn’t stop there. If I continued on foot, I would also have to hike to Vernazza, which is the highest climb.

What the hell. Armed with a picnic lunch, (foccacia, which was invented nearby, as were pesto and limoncello), I set off. The hike was a little steep to start, and the pathways WERE kind of narrow and rocky, but it wasn’t that bad, and the views were incredible. On the way, I ran into the Australian couple I met on the train from Pisa, who were coming in the opposite direction. They looked pretty winded, and said that it had been really steep.
At Corniglia, the first real hurdle appeared. The guidebooks I had read on the area all made it sound like actually going up into Corniglia was optional, but unfortunately, the beach-and-tunnel shortcut was closed.

So it was up HUNDREDS, LITERALLY HUNDREDS of stairs into town. Now y’all know that I’m not really a stairmaster champion sort of girl, so I was sweaty and gasping by the time I hit the top (but so was everyone else, so it didn’t seem as bad). I wandered the town for a bit, and recharged with an orange granita. I decided to attempt the hike to Vernazza instead of turning back to Manarola (the easy option). This stretch is the longest and highest part of the hike.
I DID IT… I thought I was going to die at a couple of points, it was rocky, narrow (just don’t look down and oh god why did I think this was a good idea?) and really, REALLY steep. But the views were INCREDIBLE, and I was ridiculously proud of myself for making it without passing out, twisting my ankle or falling on my ass (or any combination of the above).

But not so proud that I was foolish enough to attempt the hike from Vernazza to Monterosso, which is not quite as high as the one I did, but evidently has parts that are much more steep (what, vertical?!?!). I decided that 8 km was ENOUGH hiking for one day, so I caught the last boat back to Monterosso, where I treated myself to an extra glass of wine and TWO scoops of gelato after dinner at an adorable bar/restaurant right on the beach.

The pictures above show Monterosso coming in on the boat, PART of the area I hiked (the town in the distance is Manarola, with Corniglia in the middle, this was about halfway to Vernazza), and a section of the trail (actually a smooth part).

1 comment:

Katie and Laura said...

Hi Stephanie - It's Katie and Laura and we had a couple of questions for you about Propane Days ... KIDDING!

We've been following your blog and wish we could be there exploring and drinking wine with you.

Safe travels